Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Curtain Has Closed

Well it's over.

The Sound of Music is over.

I've turned in my habit, Sweet Pea has turned in her horrible pink and white dress.

I've thrown my nun-shoes in the closet to donate to Goodwill.

The dressing room has been emptied.

The set has been taken apart.

And the curtain has closed.

Oh and I'm back to wearing normal amounts of makeup.


So while this has been difficult for Babydoll, crying when it was time for me to leave every night.  And it ment that Spencer had to be home by a certain time every weeknight and give up any chance of going out on weekdays.  This play was exactly what I needed.


I have spent the last 8 years taking care of not only myself, but my family.  I did it willingly and without any regret, but who takes care of the caregiver?  It was time to take care of myself.


Ever since I transfered out of the University of Minnesota 8 years ago, I haven't done a single organized vocal or theatrical activity.  For many years I didn't even have a piano in this house.  For someone who needs to express emotion musicaly, that was years of pent up tension. 


So for several years I've been waiting for my opportunity to do a musical with ERCT, but every summer I was either pregnant, trying to get pregnant, or had a baby, and couldn't do the play.  Until this summer!


Here's Sweet Pea, second from the right in the front row.  I can't tell you how unsettling it is to see my daughter singing in front of nazi banners.


The Sound of Music was a LOT of work, but I have LOVED every minute of it!!  This cast was absolutely amazing and I have made several new friends.  People who have come to mean a lot to me in the last two months! 

Not only was the cast a blast to work with (and party with!) but the talent was incredible!  Our director Eileen Bowersox told us at our first gathering that if we were looking for "community theater" then we came to the wrong place.  This production was amazing!  So a BIG thank you to my family who helped me out with my other responsibilities, and everyone who came out to show their support and see the play!  I wouldn't have been able to take this opportunity without your support!

I had so much fun!


And I'm already planning ahead for next summer's show...

The Phantom of the Opera


3 comments:

Prairie Mother said...

I'm so happy that you were able to do something for yourself! You are right, who takes care of the caregiver? Sometimes as moms we have to just to do something for ourselves. I think it makes us better moms in the long run! I'm already looking forward to your posts of next summers play. The sets of Sound of Music were amazing!

Ellen said...

I miss you already :(

Anonymous said...

I'm so very, very glad the experience was so amazing and awesome for you. I wish I could have seen you in it! I'm glad that I at least get to see photos. ^.^ Thank you so much for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails